Google Search

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Scrap your old wheels

Hi all, especially to Sabun (cos this piece of post is related to you!) The government has proposed that cars above 15 years old will be given RM 5000 incentives to be scrapped.

Haha, so here comes the question. Is RM 5000 enough for you? (You may leave your comment) To me,  if I were the owner of a 15 years old car, I would not scrap it.

Yes, I will get RM 5000 cash-back, but so what? If it’s scrapped, I would have no car to use, how inconvenient it is! It’s well-known that Malaysian public transport is unreliable and personal car or motorbike is the only solution. If I scrap it, I would certainly need to fork out more than RM 5000 to buy myself another car. So, what’s the point of scrapping?

The Malaysian Automotive Association (MAA) supports the proposal. Of course they support, because if people scrap cars, they will be able to sell more new cars and make more money, as simple as that!

In my opinion, if the government enforces this policy and FORCE all 15 years old or above cars to be scrapped, it would be a good news to car dealers and automotive industry. But it is a bad news to poor people. Not everyone can afford the monthly instalment of a new car. Furthermore, the maintenance of a new car is higher as you need to patronize the authorized workshops to carry out servicing to avoid voiding the warranty. Authorized workshops always charge an exorbitant price for servicing, that’s for sure.

I hope the government will just make this policy an optional one. Unless government is able to provide world-class public transportation like Singapore, if not, please don’t enforce such a policy, for God’s sake.

p.s. Hi, Sabun, do you want to scrap your old car (leave your comment)?

No comments:

Post a Comment